Step Up Louisiana is hiring for a 1/2 time organizer and seeking interns. Reach out if you’re interested!
Step Up Louisiana
Join the fight for education and economic justice! Step Up Louisiana is seeking a Community Organizer to build power in our neighborhoods and fight for sustainable change in our city and state.
Our neighborhoods have been under attack from gentrification making them unaffordable places to live, the system of public education is under attack, and employers continue to pay low wages.
As a community organizer with Step Up Louisiana, you will have the responsibility of organizing and working with neighborhood members to fight to keep our neighborhoods affordable, strengthen our schools, bring better jobs to our communities, and more.
Our current opening is a part time position with 100 hours per month for neighborhood organizing in Hollygrove and in the 7th Ward.
Applicants must have:
- At least 1 year of organizing experience in labor, community, student or political organizations or campaigns
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (listening, speaking, and writing)
- Commitment to the social justice movement and passion for winning change with low-income people
- Ability to organize and build neighborhood-based community groups
- Ability to organize community members to take action on multiple issues for local neighborhood campaigns as well as city and statewide campaigns
- Must be able to work independently and manage a team
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and be detail-orientated
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- Ability to fundraise and sign up members for Step Up Louisiana
Qualified candidates should email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Community Organizer”
Step Up Louisiana
The Organizing Intern works with the Step Up Louisiana Organizing team to engage neighborhood and student leaders and developing our organization. As an Organizing Intern, you’ll work with our community leaders, helping recruit and mobilize members of our citywide grassroots movement to build power and win education and economic justice. You’ll gain valuable experience working with an emerging successful and rapidly growing statewide community organization to support membership-driven power-building efforts.
- Engage and train members
- Recruit new members
- Track results in Broadstripes
- Help develop campaign materials
- Collaborate with other members of Step Up Louisiana team
- Outgoing – you enjoy talking with people in person and over the phone
- Collaborative and self-directed – you work well as part of a team, and on your own
- Patient and detail-oriented
- Passionate – you care about education and economic justice issues
- Effective – you’re able to prioritize tasks, be flexible when curveballs arise, and take initiative when needed
- Spring-semester, and summer internships available
- Based in our New Orleans 7th Ward office accessible by public transit from all 7 New Orleans colleges and universities.
- We’re committed to making sure your internship is educational, challenging, and informative, and we’re happy to coordinate with your college or university so you can receive credit and help you fundraise for your work
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Organizing Intern”:
- Cover Letter – Why should we hire you? Why do you want to work here? What special skills do you bring to the table?
About Step Up Louisiana
The members of Step Up Louisiana are committed to building political power to win education and economic justice for all. Our members will step up and go beyond voting to campaign, organize from a racial justice perspective and hold political and community leaders accountable. We will work in our own neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces to disrupt systemic oppression. We will build the people-power needed to win in our city and state.
Our work has been featured in the Huffington Post, Scalawag Magazine, the New Orleans Times Picayune|Nola.com, the New Orleans Advocate, WDSU, WWLTV, Gambit Weekly, The Lens, WWNO, The Uptown Messenger, The Mid City Messenger and more local media outlets.
Step Up Louisiana is based in the 7th Ward of New Orleans, LA and aspires to grow into a statewide organization. Come work with us!
About our internships
We’re always on the lookout for talented undergraduate, graduate and other students who are passionate about working for education, economic and racial justice. As an intern with Step Up Louisiana you’ll be part of a hardworking, fun, and innovative team that values your skills and creative input.
You’ll gain hands-on experience working with a successful organizing campaign, and an in-depth understanding of the movement for racial, economic and education equity. You will be in our first class of interns and hope this will be a valuable experience for you and your future endeavors.
We will help you work with your college, university or school to receive academic credit and funding for your position.